Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hope

Rejection is a real ass-kicker.

I received back to back rejections on a partial and a full last week.

Talk about devastation.

When a partial or a full is floating around out there in the hands of someone who can possibly make your career, you are full of all the hope and possibility in the world. The sky looks brighter the trees are greener, food tastes better, your kids are sweeter...

When the polite "no thank you" arrives all is not well in the universe. The clouds roll in, the sun disappears and your kids...

It took me about 5 days to get over it. In the end I went back and studied my rejectors and convinced myself that they weren't the right agents for me after all. That this all happened for a reason and the perfect agent-- the one that will help me navigate a successful career is still out there.

"What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise"
-Oscar Wilde

Hope.

It's a survival mechanism really.

When I lost my position last year because of budget cuts, I was devastated, truly devastated. But then I convinced myself that I didn't need that job and that I was better off.

Survival.

Hope.

It gets us out of bed everyday.



1 comment:

  1. So you wrote a book! That's amazing, huge!

    A few folks had told me, and now I'll share some encouragement with you. It will happen. It will. It just takes a super long forever. For everyone.

    It took me two months to write, then a couple years to revise and find an agent.

    Keep querying. Keep revising. Keep hoping.

    It will happen for you. I promise.

    ReplyDelete