Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I'm Listening To Today

Lost Coastlines By Okkervil River

Packed and all eyes turned in, no one to see on the key.

No one waving for me, just the shoreline receding.

Ticket in my hand and thinking wish I didn't hand it in.

Cause who said sailing is fine?

Leaving behind all the faces that I might replace if I tried on that long ride, looking deep inside, but I don’t want to look so deep inside yet.

Sit down, sit down on the proud to wave bye, there might not be another star, farther on the line.

Look out, look out at each town that glides by, and there's another crowd, to drown in crying eyes.

And see how that light you love now just won’t shine.

There might just be another star, that’s high and far in some other sky.

We sing, is that marionette real enough yet to step off of that set to decide what her dance might mean to it.

Ruining the place where the ensuing may lay escape.

We packed up all of our bags the ship's deck now sags from the weight of our tracks, as we pace beneath flags black and battered.

Rattling our swords in service of some fated, foreign, war.

We sail out on order of him but we find, that the maps he sent to us don't mention lost coastlines.

Where nothing we've actually seen has been mapped or outlined and we don't recognize the names upon these signs.

And every night finds us rocking and rolling on waves wild and wide.

Well we have lost our way, nobodies gonna say it outright.

Just go la la la la la la la la la.


1 comment:

  1. Most of my first novel was composed listening to Okkervil River. This song in particular invokes an intense ache that I found extremely helpful in getting into my main character's head. Be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete